To continue the series of Amazon smart devices, Amazon Echo is the one I am going to share my research and review on it with you in the following passages.
As the medium class of the three Amazon smart devices based on Alexa, Amazon Echo is greater than the Amazon Echo Dot in aspects of size, weight, and audio, while they provide the same fundamental skills featuring Alexa. If you have already used Echo Dot before or you just want to have a higher class of Amazon smart devices for better experience, you should consider the Amazon Echo, which will definitely give you better audio effect by improvements compared to Echo Dot.
Since some guys may not have taken a look at the Amazon Echo Dot review, instead, directly come to this Amazon Echo review, I should also have the detailed things of this Amazon Echo included here though some may have already been talked.
Improved, Simple and Just Smart
Well, Amazon Echo is just as smart as Amazon Echo Dot, because they both work using the Alexa Voice Service. As a result, Amazon Echo is also an outstanding product in the field of smart home. As Dot, Amazon Echo is a hands-free, voice controlled device which works with a newly designed and improved speaker system of 2.5 inch woofer and 2.0 inch tweeter. With this, you can fill your room with immersive sound that is 360 degree omni-directional. You can enjoy great sound with dynamic bass response by Bluetooth music streaming through this fine-tuned Echo when you voice control it to Pandora, Spotify, iHeartRadio or TuneIn. So Amazon Echo is a nice portable speaker for you playing your favorite music, without a need of additional Bluetooth speaker. Amazon Echo is still as simple as you can expect to be used as the brain of your smart home. There are three simple and easy steps to get started. Firstly, plug in Echo; secondly, connect Echo to the internet with the Alex App that is available for Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire devices; finally, voice control Echo for your convenience for a lot of things such as music, weather, etc. With the use of Alexa voice cloud service and ESP (Echo Spatial Perception) for more Echoes working intelligently, you can voice control any compatible devices through the closest Echo wherever you are at home. You can play your favorite music, or turn on/off lights when needed, or order some food, or find a good place for your next vacation, or check the current and future weather, or even make a taxi booking, all is done by voice controlling with Echo, your hands free, just speak to Echo, then it will respond to you instantly and intelligently. Amazing! Amazon Echo is simple for you to live a smart life.
All for Your Smart Home
Like Echo Dot, Echo is made all for your home in a smart way. When you are on your bed forgetting to turn off the lamp, you can just use Echo to help switch it off without getting up. When you are doing some reading sitting on your favorite chair and you feel so hot because the air-conditioner is powered off, then you can voice control it on through Echo. When you need to make a phone call while you are busy cooking with your phone left in the living room, you can then Ask Echo, actually ask Alexa to do for you that to place a call or to text message to your family or a friend. And more things can be done in a smart way, all you need to do is just ask Echo, nothing else. To make it more clear what Echo can do for your smart home, I list some here covering the names of smart devices you can easily hear and see in your daily life, including smart lights, smart switches, smart TVs, smart thermostats, cameras, door security devices…from WeMo, Philips Hue, Sony, Samsung SmartThings, Insteon, Nest, Ecobee and Wink. All is compatible as smart home connected devices. So you can easily set up your own smart home with Amazon Echo as the center.
Far-field Voice Recognition
Same as Echo Dot, Echo is built with seven far-field microphones under the light ring that use beam-forming technology and enhanced noise cancellation. Thus, Echo provides you with excellent voice recognition ability. You can get quick response from Echo even if you are some far away, but still in the room, from it or if you are playing music. What you need to do when you want to use Echo, is just simply say the wake word ‘Alexa’, then Echo will communicate with the Alexa Voice cloud service to recognize and respond to you very quickly and intelligently. The Echo is always ready to hear you with excellent voice recognition.
Always Getting Smarter
Echo is built using the cloud service, Alexa, which is actually the brain of Amazon smart devices, it is always getting smarter to fulfill your requests, same as Echo Dot. That means that the more you use Echo, the more it learns to adapt to your personal speech patterns, vocabulary and preferences. Since Echo is connected to the internet to work all the time, it is automatically updated if an update is available. In this way, Echo is always getting smarter to serve you with more and more new features and skills.
Features & Specifications
- Improved and well-tuned to play your music with great sound from Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, etc.
- Uses a new speaker system of 2.5 inch woofer and 2.0 inch tweeter, so you can fill your room with immersive, 360 degree omni-directional audio that delivers deep bass response and crisply hits the high notes
- Built with Alexa Voice Service, so you can voice control it to play music, make calls, send and receive messages, read the news…
- Built as smart for your home to work as your assistant in automatic, scheduled jobs
- Works with Alexa for making calls and sending messages, so you can get together with family and friends in a new smart way of asking Alexa to do so
- Built with 7 far-field microphones, so it can hear you from across your living room for hands-free control in noisy environments
- Always connects to the internet, it is always getting smarter and adding new features and skills for your wonderful and smart life
- Dimensions: 9.25 x 3.3 x 3.3 inches
- Weight: 37.5 oz.
- Backed by a 1-year limited warranty and service
Key Technical Details
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard Wi-Fi. Supports 802.11a/b/g/n, however, does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.
- Bluetooth Connectivity: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming to Bluetooth speakers from Amazon Echo, from your mobile device to Amazon Echo and Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of connected mobile devices. However, hands-free voice control is not supported for Mac OS X devices.
- Audio: 2.5 inch woofer and 2.0 inch tweeter
- System Requirement: Comes ready to connect to your Wi-Fi. The Alexa App is compatible with Fire OS, Android, and iOS devices and also accessible via your web browser.
Pros & Cons
Pros: Voice control for playing music, food ordering, reading news, making calls, messaging… a lot of things can be done in a simple and hands-free way; You can change your living style with this smart device, Amazon Echo; Uses 2.5 inch woofer and 2.0 inch tweeter for greater sound quality.
Cons: Since Echo uses the same voice recognition system as that of Echo Dot, you have to try placing Echo at different places for the best result of hearing, otherwise Echo might not hear you well if it is placed somewhere above or behind you, though it uses seven extremely sensitive and accurate far-field microphones; Echo uses Alexa as the brain, it cannot answer web searching request well which you can easily achieve by Google.
Conclusion with Customer Reviews
To make this Amazon Echo review complete, I also have the real life customer reviews included. As in the research for this smart device, I found more than 60,000 helpful customer reviews telling me Echo has an impressive 4.4 out of 5 stars rating. That means most people have given Amazon Echo the highest praises possible.
As further research in the customer reviews, I also found that there were some complaints or improvement suggestions that Echo should have a better hearing ability as it cannot hear you well if it is above or behind you, and it should be improved to provide Google like style web searching, which is the same as Echo Dot because of the same brain of Alexa. However, the overall consensus is that the Amazon Echo is one of the best voice-controlled devices for your smart home. If you are looking for a more advanced smart device, especially you like to listen to music, I highly recommend the Amazon Echo for your better experience in audio.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.