In the flowing days, I am going to pick home smart devices, probably from Amazon, for my coming reviews.
To start with this, Amazon Echo Dot, actually the second generation, is so good a product that is the entry-level one of Amazon smart devices. As I am interested in smart things, especially in the times of AI, I always want to make my home life smarter and smarter with corresponding devices like the network based voice-controlled smart devices. With a smart device like that as described, I can do a lot of hands-free things, such as making calls, messaging, reading news, shopping, ordering food, finding a location or restaurant and so on. All is done through a smart device only with voice commands. So, if you are a person like me who wants to have a smart home commander, you may get helpful information in my Amazon Echo Dot review, which is one of the upcoming Smart Home devices reviews.
Simple to Be Smart
A smart device is usually a kind of electronic device that complete a task per your command, typically a voice, without your hands operation. The Amazon Echo Dot is a pioneer and outstanding representation in this field of smart home. Echo Dot is a hands-free, voice controlled device working with a small built-in speaker based on network. To get an Echo Dot work, it is simple that there are three easy steps to get started. Firstly, plug in the Echo Dot; secondly, connect it to the internet with the Alexa APP which is available for Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire devices; finally, just voice control it for your convenience. With advanced technologies of Alexa voice cloud service and ESP (Echo Spatial Perception) for more Echo Dots working intelligently, the Echo Dot is your best assist to achieve your goals in a simple and smart way. Imagine that you can play your favorite music, or turn off lights for a good sleep, or order a set of pizza for your lunch, or find a romantic place for dating, or check the weather, or even make an Uber booking, all done by voice controlling through the Echo Dot, that’s so great! Hands free, speak to Echo Dot, then it will respond instantly and intelligently. It is simple for you to live a smart life with Echo Dot.
Made for Your Home
As a great smart device, Echo Dot is not only powerful in voice control things, but also made in the way to add convenience and more to your home. With a sleek and compact design, Echo Dot is always easy to be placed almost anywhere in your home. With the built-in speaker, Echo Dot can be your smart alarm clock in the bedroom or your excellent assistant in the kitchen. With Bluetooth connection, Echo Dot can help you play your home stereo system conveniently. Echo Dot can even play your music by a direct connection with a 3.5mm stereo cable to the speakers which have no connectivity option of Bluetooth. In a word, Echo Dot is something that can add convenience and fun to your home living.
Far-field Voice Recognition
As a good smart assistant, the device should be able to listen to you as soon as you ask it. That means a good enough voice-controlled device like the Echo Dot has the ability to hear what you say to it and respond to you as quickly as possible despite of some distance between you and it. Built with 7 far-field microphones tucked under the light ring, the Echo Dot can hear you from across your room. Furthermore, with the use of beam-forming technology and enhanced noise reduction, the Echo Dot can even hear you ask a question in any direction or in noisy environment. What you have to do when you want to use Echo Dot, is just to simply say the wake word ‘Alexa’, then Echo Dot will recognize and communicate with the cloud service of Alexa Voice, so as to respond to your request instantly and intelligently. Thanks to a more powerful processor, the Echo Dot is always ready to hear you with great voice recognition.
Always Getting Smarter
Since Echo Dot is built using the cloud service, Alexa, which is actually the brain of Amazon smart devices, it is always getting smarter to go with the tide and trends to fulfill your requests. In other words, the more you use Echo Dot, the more it learns and gets to adapt to your personal speaking style and preferences. As Echo Dot is always connected to the internet to work, it is automatically updated if an update is available. Thus, Echo Dot is getting smarter day by day to serve you with more and more new skills.
Features & Specifications
- Built as a smart device using Alexa Voice Service, so you can voice control it to play music, make calls, send and receive messages, read the news…all is hands-free
- Built as capable of connections to speakers or headphones through Bluetooth or 3.5 mm stereo cable directly to play music for you from various sources
- Works with Alexa calling and messaging, so you get together with family and friends in such a new way of asking Alexa to do so
- Smart to controls compatible connected devices from WeMo, Philips Hue, Sony, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, and others, so you can use it as your smart home’s brain
- Built with 7 far-field microphones, so it can hear you from across your living room for hands-free control in noisy environments
- Includes a built-in speaker, so it can work as a smart alarm clock in the bedroom or an assistant in the kitchen
- Connects to the internet to work, it is always getting smarter and adding new features and skills for your wonderful life in a smart way
- Dimensions: 1.3 x 3.3 x 3.3 inches
- Weight: 5.7 oz.
- Backed by a 90-day limited warranty and service
Key Technical Details
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks. Does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.
- Bluetooth Connectivity: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming from your mobile device to Echo Dot or from Echo Dot to your Bluetooth speaker. Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of connected mobile devices. Hands-free voice control is not supported for Mac OS X devices. Bluetooth speakers requiring PIN codes are not supported.
- Audio: Built-in speaker for voice feedback when not connected to external speakers. 3.5 mm stereo audio output for use with external speakers (audio cable not included).
- System Requirement: Comes ready to connect to your Wi-Fi. The Alexa App is compatible with Fire OS, Android, and iOS devices and also accessible via your web browser. Certain skills and services may require subscription or other fees.
Pros & Cons
Pros: Voice control for playing music, food ordering, reading news, making calls, messaging… a lot of things can be done in a simple and hands-free way; Change your living style with this smart device.
Cons: Cannot hear you well if it is placed above or behind you, though it uses seven extremely sensitive and accurate far-field microphones; It should work better when it is placed on a surface which is closed to the level of the person speaking to it; Cannot answer web searching request which you may do by Google.
Conclusion with Customer Reviews
To make this Amazon Echo Dot review complete, I have the real life customer reviews included as well. As in the research for this smart device, I found more than 35,000 helpful customer reviews telling me that Echo Dot has an impressive 4.3 out of 5 stars rating. That means that most people have given Amazon Echo Dot high praises.
Furthermore, among the customer reviews, I noticed that there were some complaints or improvement suggestions that Echo Dot should have a better hearing capability because it cannot hear you well when it is above or behind you, and it should be improved to provide Google like web ‘search’ feature. However, the overall consensus is that the Amazon Echo Dot is the best voice-controlled device for you starting to build your smart home. If you are looking around and hesitating to choose a smart home device, I highly recommend the Amazon Echo Dot for your start with an unbeatable price of about $50.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.